This is how to make an ecosystem's objects precisely
appear where you wish it to, using the "Variable density"
function in Vue.
Note, in a similar manner, it can also be used to drive distribution
fucntions of rmixed materials, or layered materials alphas.
Although demonstrated on a terrain, the same basic
technique can be used to add ecosystems to almost any object.
- Make a terrain
- Copy terrain from Terrain Editor using the "Copy"
button, then paste in 2d application (Paint Shop Pro for me, or
- Edited the image as you wish to get desired end result, white
areas = populated, black = no ecosystem materials. You can paint
over it to make it more solid, or use "levels" or other
commands in your 2D app to make it more white in brighter areas
(lighter it is more dense the ecosystem will be).
- Edit the Ecosystem material in Vue.
- Make it MAPPING-PARAMETRIC
- Go to the DENSITY tab
- Tick Variable Density
- Right click the sphere, EDIT FUNCTION
- Click REPLACE BY TEXTURE MAP, connect to the Density function
- Image offset, X and Y change to 1.00 for both (this
was required in Vue version 5, it is not needed in version 6 and
- Voila'! :)